Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Legacy

What do you most desire to leave as a legacy for your children? 
When you think about what you would leave for your children, do you think of trust accounts, an education fund or family mementos?  While it may be well and good to prepare these things, I am thinking of something a little more eternal. 
What are your highest hopes for your children?

 I believe that the greatest gift and most beautiful legacy you can give your children is the opportunity of life with God.  It is a gift that I am forging each and every day, from the moment I get up, to the moment I lay down.  Children learn by instruction, that is true, but they most often learn by example.  I want them to see me living, breathing, loving Jesus each and every day of my life, through the good and the ugly.  I want them to know that a relationship with your Savior is not just awesome, but essential.  I want them to know that they can trust him with their life, no matter what it looks like.
Children watch very carefully. I am a teacher, I see them watch the world around them.  Especially their parents.
  I desire for the legacy I build for my children to not be bound to their younger years, but be a solid rock from which they can build their own faith and a life eternal.  I believe the only way to do this is to practice what we preach.  Our boys pray and praise with us, in good times and bad.  They see God fight for them again and again.  They see God say yes.  They see God tell us to wait.  They see him say no.  And in every situation they learn about the nature of God and why we love him so much. 

For the Lord grants wisdom!
From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest.
He is a shield to those who walk in integrity.
He guards the path of the just and protects those who are faithful to him.
(Proverbs 2:6-8)

I do not pretend to know how to raise my children.  This is the first and only time I get.  I don't get a re-run if it falls in a heap.  So I want to know that I am trusting in in someone bigger than myself.  Someone who knew our children before we conceived them and who knows their future.  The best and only thing I can promise them as a legacy, is my walk with God, my love and care of them, and my encouragement to walk in godly faith.
If we are honest with God and walk in integrity, we will be granted common sense to deal with the day to day challenges, and God will protect both us and our children because we put our faith in Him.  God only wants the absolute best for his children, so I trust him with both my life and the lives of my children. 

What is the greatest treasure you hope to give your children?

4 comments:

Tania said...

This is a great post Nicole...

You are a wonderful example to your children, they are so lucky that you are setting such a great path for them to follow.

xTania

Nicole Watson said...

God has given us a huge job being a Mum. I thank him everyday for the blessings of our children. May He bless your family too :D

Paula Vince said...

Your boys will have the best legacy!
I got to travel overseas a bit with my parents when I was young and sometimes feel sad that we are unable to offer our kids similar experiences. But I like to remind myself that they have many good things I never had.
Blessings,
Paula

Nicole Watson said...

I always reflect on my childhood too Paula, in relation to our children. Writing great books is also another great legacey to give your children. I have never had the privelege to venture overseas. I don't miss it becuase I have never been, but who knows what will happen in the future. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...