Thursday, January 20, 2011

Our Words Make a Difference

What God has been talking to me about lately:

Did you know that our words carry an eternal significance.  They not only determine how things will happen in our day to day lives but they have the power to change futures. 

We all know that what we say will affect those around us.  Our words can comfort, console, encourage, love and help.  They can also hurt, tear down, and crush other's spirits.  The bible tells us to be careful with our tongue.  The bible tells us that though our tongue is a small part of our body it does big things, both good and terrible (James 3:1-12).  Just like the rudder on a ship which steers the direction of the ship, so our tongue is responsible for steering our path in life.  Something so small and yet gifted with so much power.

So why is this important?  It is important because of this verse:

"I tell you the truth, whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven" (Matthew 18:18)

If you are a child of God this is big news.  In this passage Jesus is talking to his disciples and telling them the power they have been given through him.  We too have this power.  We are filled with the Holy Spirit.  Jesus is saying whatever we permit, allow, say on earth will be done in heaven, and whatever we forbid, speak, do not allow on earth will be bound in heaven. 

For example if someone you know is very ill and you speak words of  hope, love, healing and strength to them, over them and about them, then those things God releases from heaven and will become real and active in that situation. 

The opposite is also true if we choose to speak negativity and hopelessness over a situation it also release things in the spiritual realm to come into your life but they are not from heaven.  It also cause that healing and love that is waiting in heaven to be bound, and as  a result is not released into your life.

The words we speak are very much a measure of our faith.  Are we willing to speak the words of truth, hope and love in faith or dwell on the err of caution and grumble about our lack of fortune?  It is all about faith.  Being able to trust God enough to believe his promises even when you can't see it yet in the natural.

In our walk with Sam and his heart condition we will continue to speak words of life and love, healing and hope.  We will proclaim that he is healed and wait for the reality of it.  When I was talking to God today about Sam's 'problems' I was surprised to see that he saw things very differently to me. 

I said, "Lord he isn't putting on any weight and I am worried about his development."
He reminded me that Sam is more switched on than most kids I know and that he is lean but growing.

I said, "God, but he struggles to keep up with other kids when playing."
He reminded me that rarely has that problem and most of the time he runs circles around his brother and can swim kicking in the pool for as long as any of us.

I said, "Father, I worry about his blood thinning and bruises and bleeding"
He replied "You have tested me on this.  He has cut himself many times and he has always clotted immediately"

I said "But oh God please won't you just give him his new heart!"

He replied "He is mine.  He will testify to the nations of my healing.  If I healed him now you would be testifying, not him.  I am keeping him in every way.  You gave him to me.  Relax and enjoy your family.  I will never leave you or forsake you.  Spend more time with me.  I love you."

God sees the big picture.  Speak words of truth and love.  Have faith and wait on his promises.  He is not a man that he should lie.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...