Saturday, September 3, 2011

Dad's Day Dynamics

Dad's Day is celebrated all around Australia this Sunday.  And while many of us adore our Dads and have warm and precious relationships with them, many do not.  This time of celebration can actually be a time of pain, horrible memories, broken dreams and sorrow.

Many families today do not have Dad at home at , or they may have two or three people they call Dad.  Many have memories of an abusive Dad, an absent Dad or a Dad they have only met in their dreams.  Many have lost their dad's to illness, or a life well lived.  So much heartache, so much lost love, all way too much to bear on this one day a year.

I wonder if you can find some time this Sunday to pray for someone you know that needs healing and restoration, because of a broken Dad/child relationship.

And if you are someone who has lost relationship with your Dad, don't give up hope, I want you to know one thing.

Your heavenly Dad (God), created you and he loves you more than anyone on this earth ever could.  He created love so he knows what it is all about.  He will never leave, you, let you down, be late, forget your birthday, put you down, reject your affection, shatter your dreams or abuse you.  He waits for you with open arms to hug you today and tell you how much he loves you.  He delights in every detail of your life, even when you ignore him and pretend he's not there.  His love for you is outside of time, it will never end.

And to my Dad:

I love you Dad. I love you more than I ever have, because God has shown me what true love is.  I love that I get to share my family with you.  I love watching you with Jack and Sam, as you play together and get to know one another.  I love that I can always call you, even when you are so busy.  I love that you have always thought of our needs above your own.  You are precious to me.  I know I can't give you a hug in person this Father's Day  but I will in two weeks.

xx Cole


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...