Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Put Your Words Away




Some days my skin is thicker than some.  Other days the barbed words hurt more than I should allow. I have a mother's heart after all.  The word darts are unintentional, offered in passing by often with a smile. 

This morning at swimming the bullet words came again from a lovely mother with her own beautiful healthy children. 

'Your legs are blue aren't they little guy' and then, 'He runs funny, doesn't he?'

She then looks to me like I should be getting Sam out of the water in the 37C heat, because he is 'obviously' cold.

I grin and then continue to talk to Sam.  She goes on her way.  Some days the barbs sink deeper than they should. 

So in response to that dear lady and the countless others that mean well, this is what I would like to say in hind sight.

'You miss the point entirely.  Sam RUNS, he SWIMS, he PLAYS, and can CONVERSE better than many kids his age.  Sam can LAUGH like no-one business and when you are down or hurt he is COMPASSIONATE and will PRAY for you.  Before he was born I was told he would do none of these things.

You look and see his blue legs, and lips and make a judgement based on what you know, so I will forgive you and I will smile and trust that in the future you will guard your lips, as the words that tumble from them without thought have the intention to not only hurt others but make you look like an idiot.'


 
"You never fail until you stop trying.”
Albert Einstein

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people just don't think before they speak, do they. I am sorry to hear that you had to hear those comments. A friend of mine's son has some 'balance issues' and the deputy principal at a prospective school made a comment that the school rated very high with their sporting and academic achievements, and they preferred students to be capable of both. It's really quite sad that people feel the need to jump to conclusions and cast judgement without knowing the full story. Bless you Nicole. I may not comment much on your blog, but I read every post and am inspired and encouraged by your faith.xx

Nicole Watson said...

Hi Debbie, Thank you for sharing your friend's story with me. How their hearts must have plumetted in that moment, and then later comes the anger. I believe God gives us all a special plan and gifts to walk it out. How sad the world would be if we were all the same. I guess I used to live in ignorace as well, so I cannot judge them for their words. But I will educate them if given half a chance and they get me on a day when my heart is not so weary ;) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...