Monday, April 16, 2012

A Cup of Fresh Water

Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.(Romans 12:2)

It's a simple truth isn't it?  One that we have heard many times.

Recently my five year old son Jack and I have had many discussions around this truth.  Let me give you an example.  There was a movie that Jack really wanted to watch.  The conversation went like this

But I really want to watch _______. 

Why do you want to watch it?

Everyone else at school is allowed to watch it.  Why can't I?

I'm sure you've all heard this one before.  I have even tried it myself with God a few times. 

This is how our discussion ended

Do you think Holy Spirit would be happy if you watched it?  Have you asked God?

No, He wouldn't like it. 

Why do you think He wouldn't like it?

It would give me bad dreams.  Like that other one did.

So it's not that I won't let you watch it, but that you need to make the right choice to show God how wise you are.  In the bible He tells us that we need to guard what we see, hear and think.  Other wise we take things in that might hurt us. So really when you think about it, those other boys at school are the silly ones for watching things that might give them bad dreams.  I guess it's up to you to choose whether you really want to watch those things or not.

Silence

Yeah, I don't want to.  There's heaps of other things to watch.  I feel better now. 

I think you've made a clever choice, you must be growing up.  Let's think about what else you can watch.

So much of what we allow into our hearts and minds hinders the work that God is doing in our lives.  In going through things like this with my family, it reminds me to be vigilant with my own mind and heart.    I am not talking about cutting myself off from the world and entertainment, but being wise in my choices.  We are given Holy Spirit as a guide, and we must if we profess to know Jesus, take his advice in all we do- in the bookstore, in the video shop, surfing the net, watching TV, in our conversations. 

Think of it like a drinking fountain.  If you want to drink of clean fresh water, you don't pollute up the water do you?  I want my life to be a tap for God's living water.  When someone comes to me thirsty I don't want to hand them a cup of mud, but a refreshing drink that will leave them feeling loved and revitalised. 

This week has been a reminder to me to clean out the filter on my rainwater tank.  When was the last time you checked yours?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to your dilemma and I think you handled it beautifully. My daughter, age 11, and I have been having a conversation about the book and movie, The Hunger Games. I read the book beforehand and enjoyed it as an adult. However, I have questioned the wisdom in allowing her to read it, though many kids in her class have read it and seen the movie. I see it planting disturbing thoughts and images in her mind that God didn't intend for an 11 year old to struggle with. I have wavered back and forth, but after reading this. I am going to stay strong in my original thinking and not copy the behavior of this world. Thanks for the post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...