Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Want To Run!

Do you remember when you were able to run fast, when you could feel your heart pump and your hair fly back?

I must admit is has been about 10 years since I have been able to run for any great length of time.  I am not at what you would call the peak of fitness.

However I am not here to post about fitness.
I want to run because I can.  

The only thing stopping me from running is my own lack of desire.  However lately my desire has been rekindled.

I watch Sam run for but a few steps before his heart tells him it is time to stop.  His breath comes in short sharp gasps as he reaches his threshold for endurance.  I walk to the shops with him and by the time we get from the car to the shops he is breathing heavy, and asks to be carried.  When he jumps on the trampoline, he bounces with great enthusiasm, only to tell me 30 seconds later , 'I'm puffed out'.  I watch him chase and try to keep up with the other kids, until he slows and begins to walk, meandering off to the side to find something else to do. 

But let me tell you something he does not do...

He never gives up.  He never steps trying because it seems to hard.  He strives and he tries and he smiles while he does it.

Watching him ignites a fire in my belly.

I have a healthy heart.  I have strong legs, and good joints.  I give up because my heart beats fast, and I know parts of me wobble that shouldn't.  How dare I not run, when my son cannot!  How dare I be to lazy to enjoy my blessings, when he prays with every fiber of his being he could run.

Well no longer, I tell you. 

I will not waste what I have been given.  I am going to run again, and when I do, I am going to push Sam with me, and we are going to go FAST, REALLY FAST!  And he is going to feel the breeze in his hair and his heart pound with excitement, instead of exhaustion.

We are both going to win, because I will not let his little heart and my reluctance hold us back. 

May God grant me the strength and persistence I need to see it through.


Do you want to join me?  We can encourage each other.

6 comments:

Paula Vince said...

Also, you need to be able to keep up with him, to provide those mummy-arms until his breath returns, to begin the process all over again.
Good on you both.

Anonymous said...

There was a night last year at church where my younges had a toileting accident, I ran to the car, down the street quite a fair way away, rather impressed at how fast I could actually run and how i felt fitter than I though it was. It was freeing to run and not worry about the wobbling bits. I do prefer to walk for exercise, but thanks for the running reminder.
My legs were pretty sore the next day.

Dorothy said...

Well done, for spotting an opportunity and looking for ways to make it happen! I should run too. Thanks for the reminder! xx

Nicole Watson said...

Yes, I will need to be fit to keep up with these two boys Paula :)

Nicole Watson said...

Hahah Michelle. I am hioping that as time goes on less on me will wobble. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait and see ;)

Nicole Watson said...

Thanks Dorothy. It makes me think of so many other things that we take for granted, when we have able bodies. I will let you know how it goes. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...