Sunday, March 6, 2011

Warning Danger Ahead

Warnings can save us much hurt and grief, if we listen to them.  When we are driving in our car and we see a sign warning us of a sharp corner, we do well to heed that advice, unless we want to end up well off the track.  It is just the same with God.  When Jesus returned to heaven he sent Holy Spirit to be our guide.  In John 16:13-15, Jesus tells it like this.
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth.  He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard.  He will tell you about the future.  He will bring me glory by telling you whatever he receives from me.  All that belongs to the Father is mine; this is why I said, 'The Spirit will tell you whatever he receives from me.'
I have had people over the years tell me that we cannot pretend to know the mind of God.  It is true that our minds are prone to all sorts of traps and snares but we can know the mind of Christ.  We may not yet have the mind of Jesus, but I know the One who does.  He lives inside of us and he knows everything that Jesus knows-he is Holy Spirit.  Jesus says in the book of John that he considers us his friends, not his slaves without privilege.  It is his desire that we hear his voice and follow the path he has mapped out for us.  In order to do that you must heed the warnings and advice given by Holy Spirit. 
These warnings usually come well before an event is about to take place in our life.  God does not leave us unprepared.  Let me give you an example.  Before I knew we were pregnant with Sam, I was given a dream/vision from God about our family walking through liquid fire.  It consumed everything in it's path but we walked through it and were not burned or scorched in any way.  It was accompanied by this scripture, 'Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.  I have called you by name; you are mine.  When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.  When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.  When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you...(Isaiah 43:1-2).   Almost a year later when we were in the midst of Sam's surgeries God brought that dream to my remembrance, and assured me of us walking through the trouble unharmed. You get the idea.
The most important lesson I have learned about hearing God's voice is to spend time listening to him daily.  If you wait until you are in the midst of a situation, it is easy to be deceived by the many other voices clamouring for attention in your heart and head.  It can be confusing and hard to know which way to go.  If we spend time daily with God, he reveals his path for us, bit by bit ahead of time, preparing us for what is ahead.  And when trouble comes, and it will, you will be at peace and be assured that he is with you every step of the way.  You will be confident in your ability to step out in faith because you truly know the heart of your Saviour.
Do you desire to walk a life of confidence in Christ?  It is possible, if only we would ask, listen and then obey.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...